It's taken forty-one years, but I have finally found my dream job! As of August 27, 2008 I will be working at an estate vineyard on the North Fork of Long Island. This blog will journal my adventures, from seed to vine to wine and back again. Pull up a stool and I'll pour you a story.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Meanwhile, back at the vineyard...


Some of the incredibly cool things about an old farmstead are the small details that lurk in the corners. Pictured above, the initials of the original owner of the farm, which he nailed into a beam with what looks like furniture tacks.

To try and describe to you how busy this weekend was would be nearly impossible, so instead I will tell you that with only myself and two other people working the tasting room, we sold SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS' worth of wine on Saturday.

On days like that, I don't remember any details - it's all a blur of dirty glasses, clean glasses, greeting, describing wines, pouring, pouring, pouring, opening bottles, putting empties aside, boxing and bagging, ringing up sales, and back to the beginning again. On days like that, the customers all start to look identical to me, and I have flashbacks and think that I've already described the wines to them, even though I know they just sat down and their glasses are still clean.

Happily, the owners were in laid-back mode and did not hawk us, so things went pretty smoothly. The winemaker's dog is now wearing a Halti, which is really intended for training a dog not to pull when you take them for a walk, but which doubles as a muzzle in a pinch. So no patrons were nipped, mauled, or had their clothes ripped. All in all, it was a pretty successful weekend.

I nearly dropped my teeth when Brenda said they had decided to open the tasting room today, Columbus Day, (my first day off after five working days) for two hours, and asked me if I could come in! Let's see... drive one hour to work two hours to drive another hour home?


I think not.

Besides, since my regular work days take up ten hours or more, the only time I have to do anything at all at my own house is on my "days off"!!!

I am going to interview with the other job tomorrow morning. We'll see what comes of it. My face may look haggard and I might be limping, but hell - my new haircut is smokin'.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my plan today too... clean, clean, cook, clean and then clean. Fun Fun Fun. I have something for you! Maybe I'll pop over later and give it to you in between all the chores.

October 13, 2008 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger Janan said...

I am not sure what your interests are(interview?), but you clearly have a way with words...Journalism!?!

October 20, 2008 at 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That haircut IS smokin'.

October 27, 2008 at 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home