It's taken forty-one years, but I have finally found my dream job! As of August 27, 2008 I will be working at an estate vineyard on the North Fork of Long Island. This blog will journal my adventures, from seed to vine to wine and back again. Pull up a stool and I'll pour you a story.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Happy Anniversary to US! (A vintage moment)

September 28, 2002

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.


- William Shakespeare
Sonnet CXVI



This is the mead that we home brewed for our wedding. It's particularly relevant just now, as some close friends of my employers asked for a bottle of it to use at their Rosh Hashanah celebration dinner. Not being of Jewish background, I was unaware that honey plays a central role in the celebration of these high holy days, although I am not at all surprised. Honey has been central to so many cultures, because of its medicinal and otherwise exceedingly pleasant qualities. It ties us to the earth, the cycle of life, and brings us joy in all its many forms... not the least of which is MEAD!


2 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

Many congratulations on your Anniversary, dear Vina, and may you have many more of them!

September 28, 2008 at 8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I love that picture. I have you bookmarked this time.

September 28, 2008 at 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home